Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Things I dig about Hyderabad

As promised.....

1. The currency - I am seriously a millionaire here. When I take cash out and check my balance, it's like Christmas. I could totally retire with the savings I have right now, and not worry about anything at all.

2. The weather - I haven't used a hair dryer since I got here, and I wear sandals everyday to work. Those sweaters I packed - never gonna use them.

3. The importance of family - everyone here seemingly digs their family, and lives with them forever and ever. The stigma of living at home is nonexistent (in fact it's almost mandatory). Everyone has huge families with lots of brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews - maybe I secretly wish I had a bigger family or something...

4. The schedule - we work 2pm - 11pm here, but it works for me since I like getting things done in the AM. I workout almost everyday, read, blog, chill with people at breakfast, maybe hit a shop and then I go to work. Fab!!

5. Meeting people - there is a tight little expat community here, and it's fun to hang out with people from all over the US. Just sharing a drink (or a cab) is fun and you get to learn from each other.

6. The invitations - everyone wants you at their weddings, their homes, to hang with you shopping and share their experience with you. I haven't had professional shots taken of me and I won't be hanging up in some one's living room (poor Katie!) but sometimes it's cool to be the center of attention.

7. Lack of responsibility - I don't cook, clean, grocery shop, drive or have to get my own water.. I'm gonna get spoiled by the time this is over.

8. India Standard Time - I am ahead of most of the foreign offices I work with, and can yell at them in real time.

9. F Cafe, BBQ Nation, Ginger Court - I am blessed to have decent take out options available. Can't say the people 3 years before my time that the luxury!

10. Free time - I am sometimes bored at work. My email is up-to-date like no other. I feel like I am in control of my work life, which I haven't felt in a couple of (gasp) years....

This week: Charminar, sari shopping (got invited to a wedding!!) and maybe a museum or temple....

No comments: