Sunday, November 2, 2008

Things I miss about Chicago

I've only been gone two whole weeks, but I really really really miss the following:

1. Walking - I get driven around everywhere here. I pretty much only get to walk from my hotel room to the lobby, from the car to my cube...

2. Spontaneity - You can't just get up and go somewhere. You have to reserve a driver (and hope that they actually come), make plans, make sure your phone has enough minutes to call in an emergency, blah blah blah.

3. The food - I am all about trying to get to know a culture through their food, but I can only take so much. I was born and raised on pierogi (and man, what I would do for some....). You can't really trust the milk here (lukewarm? no thanks) and the coffee leaves something to be desired.

4. Current U.S. television - I can't use Hulu, iTunes makes you swear the purchase is in the U.S., and YouTube only posts like 5 minutes snippets of current shows. Bollywood movies aren't subtitled, and if you watch HBO too much, you see the same 5 movies everyday. We have tons of extra free time because we aren't cleaning, aren't cooking, aren't doing laundry, so help us, we need sometime to kill the time!

5. The Choir at 11am mass at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel - the Catholic church here is nice, and the choir is 'quaint' but I swear the ensemble at OLMC channels in angels when they sing. I seriously can't wait to go back and hear them.

6. Central Standard Time - Now that daylight savings time is over, we are 11 1/2 hours ahead, which makes it difficult to connect with family while we are both awake. And you Pacific people - I miss you!!!!! Facebook only does so much to help keep in touch.

7. Saturday mornings on NPR - I used to get up around 9:30 on Saturdays, and listen to NPR all day (seriously, until like 7-8 pm). Wait Wait, Sound Opinions, Weekend America, This American Life, A Prairie Home Companion - what a soundtrack to the errands I run on weekly basis!

8. Chicago GES - not that everyone in Hyd isn't awesome, but they don't go drink with me, see concerts with me, have GA nights with me! :/ That, and the free access to pens, paper, scissors, push pins....

9. My friends and family - I know I would get crap for it if I didn't say it! But they know. :)

And not to sound like a whiner, I'll post the things I dig about Hyd tomorrow. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicago misses you, too.

And you ain't missing anything but good election coverage on TV. I mean - Two and Half Men? Dancing with the Tards?

Barbara and Kevin said...

Let me know if you want me to record anything on DVD and I'll send it to you.